Thursday, April 1, 2010

Treasure Chest Thursday: Grandpa's Postcard Collection

When my mother passed away in 2004,  I inherited a large postcard collection that she had been holding onto since her father died.  The postcards were "real photo" postcards, meaning that they were one-off photographs on a postcard backing,  dated from about 1910 to 1920.  Most of the postcards had views of Alaska, where my grandfather worked frequently as an appraiser of canneries, but some were more personal.  Some were postcards by the famous Alaskan photographer John E. Thwaites.  I believe Thwaites was an acquaintance of both my grandparents and my great grandparents. Thwaites worked on the steamship DORA, which made regular mail stops at Unga Island Alaska (see book, "Sailing the Mail in Alaska" by J. Penelope Goforth).

While many of the postcards were unposted, several were used and posted. The most interesting ones, to me,  were written by one of grandfather's girlfriends, before he married Ruby my grandmother!

This is a family treasure dear to my heart!

One of my favorite photos of my Grandpa Rolla, the tall guy on far right, unknown location in Alaska

Grandpa Rolla and Grandma Ruby frolic in the snow about 1915 Washington St Cascade Mtns. Grandma was pregnant with her first child, Ted. 


Delaroff Development Co staff, 1914, Unga Island Alaska. My great grandfather Frank R. Brown at far right; others not identified.

Have a great day!

Betty

2 comments:

Lori H said...

Betty,
These are wonderful! What an interesting glimpse of life the way it was!

Evelyn Yvonne Theriault said...

These are great photos - and seem to have historical significance as well.
If I were you, I would place "meta-tags" behind these images.
I've made many interesting contacts this way and been able to identify people on my postcards.
Have a good day!
Evelyn in Montreal