Friday, February 4, 2011

A Friend of Friends Friday: African American Slaves Named in the 1750 Will of PETER (PIERRE) GUERRANT "The Huguenot", of King William Parish, Cumberland Co VA

Note: "A Friend of Friends" was a password used on the Underground Railway

Peter (Pierre) Guerrant Sr, my great X 5 grandfather, was born 1697 Saintonge, St Nazaire, France, and died 1750 in King William Parish, Cumberland Co Virginia. He married Magdalene Trabue, daughter of Anthony Trabue & Magdalene Verreuil, about 1732 in King William Parish, Goochland Co VA.

Peter Guerrant Sr emigrated from France in about 1700, probably with his father Daniel Guerrant.  They were some of the first Huguenots (French Protestants) to settle in Virginia. For more information, see the excellent website Huguenot Emigrants on the James River


Will date 1749, proved June 25, 1750 King William Parish, Cumberland County, Virginia
In the name of God , Amen. I,  PETER  GUERRANT  of the parish of King William, in the county of Cumberland, being in health of body and of sound disposing mind and memory, praise be Almighty God for the same, but considering the uncertainty of human life, do make this my last will and testament in manner following. That is to say, my just debts being paid first and satisfied.


Item : I give and bequeath to my eldest son JOHN GUERRANT Four hundred acres of land, lying on Jushua's Creek, one of the branches of Slate river in Albemarie County, for him and his heirs forever. I also give him, my son GUERRANT , a horse called Jockey and my Philadelphia saddle, for him and his heirs forever.


Item: I give and bequeath unto my son PETER GUERRANT, four hundred acres of land lying and being on Hunt's Creek, one of the branches of Slate river in Albemarie County, for him and his heirs forever. I also give my son PETER GUERRANT one feather bed and furniture for him and his heirs forever.


Item: I give and bequeath to my son DANIEL GUERRANT Four hundred acres of land joing on his brother JOHN GUERRANTs line, it being part of an order of Council for six hundred acres of land on Joshua's Creek, one of the branches of Slate river in Albermarle County, for him and his heirs forever . I also give to my son DANIEL GUERRANT one negro boy named CAESAR, for him and his heirs forever.


Item: I give unto my daughter ESTHER GUERRANT Two hundred acres of land on Collier's line--it being part of the four hundred acres of land on Mountain Creek in Amelia County, for her and her heirs forever. I also give my daughter ESTHER GUERRANT the other new bed, with what furniture there is to it, and a rug, and two cows and calves for her and her heirs forever, and two pounds Current money, and the two cows and calves to be delivered when she shall attain the age of twenty one-years or married.


Item: I give and bequeath to my daughter MAGDALENE GUERRANT the other Two hundred acres of land on Mountain Creek in Amelia County, it being the other part of the four hundred acres, for her and her heirs forever. I also give my daughter MAGDALENE GUERRANT the sum of five pounds Current money to be paid out of my personal estate and two cows and calves, to be delivered after she shall attain the age of twenty - one years or married.


Item: I give and bequeath unto my daughter JANE GUERRANT Two hundred acres of land, it being part of an order of Council for six hundred acres of land lying and being on Joshua's Creek, one of the branches of Slate River in Albemarie County, for her and her heirs forever. I also give to my daughter JANE GUERRANT, the sum of Five pounds Current money, to be paid out of my personal estate, and two cows and calves , to be delivered after she shall attain the age of twenty-one years or married.
Item: I give and bequeath unto my daughter JUDITH GUERRANT, the sum of fifteen pounds Current money for her and her heirs forever.


Item: If in case, my beloved wife MAGDALENE GUERRANT should happen to be now with child, and it should be a boy, I give him thirty-five pounds Current money, to be laid out of my personal estate, for him and his heirs forever, but if it should happen that my beloved wife is with child of a daughter, my will is that I give her fifteen pounds Current money, for her and her heirs forever.


Item: I leave to my beloved wife MAGDALENE GUERRANT, the use of the plantation I now live on, with use of three negroes, TOM, SARAH, and MOLL, during her natural life, and my will is that my beloved wife shall have the use of all the negroes , during the time of her widowhood. CAESAR only excepted which is before given to my son DANIEL GUERRANT, but in case that it should happen that there be not moveable estate enough to satisfy the legacies before given, my will is that BETTY shall be sold by way of outcry to satisfy the aforegiven legacies.


Item: My will is that after my beloved wife MAGDALENE 's decease , that all the negroes and all the plantation I now live on shall be sold by way of outcry and the money be equally divided among my beloved children who will be living at that time.


Item: I do constitute and ordain my well beloved wife MAGDALENE GUERRANT to be the whole and sole executrix of this my last will and testament, and I do hereby declare this and none other to be my last will and testament, revoking all other wills and testaments, which may have by me been formerly made.  In witness whereof , I have hereto set my hand and fixed my seal,  this Third day of December , One Thousand Seven hundred and forty -nine.
PETER GUERRANT





Have a great day!

Betty



© Betty Tartas  2011

No comments: