Friday, November 4, 2011

A Friend of Friends Friday: African American Slaves Named in the 1825 will of Capt JOSEPH WOFFORD Sr of Spartanburg, SC

Note: "A Friend of Friends" was a password used on the Underground Railway

Will of JOSEPH WOFFORD Senr of Spartanburgh District:  Being of sound mind....to MARTHY WOFFORD my wife, all my household furniture and stock of every living creature, and the plantation where we now live, and all my negroes; to my son JEREMIAH WOFFORD after his Mother's deceased one Negro boy named MOSES for his natural life or till sd. MOSES is 40 years of age, which the sayd MOSE was twenty two years old last May; to my daughter ANN TUCKER, the tract she now lives on to the Buck Branch, adj. JOSEPH WOFFORD Junr line, adj. SAMUEL TUCKERs line, besides the Negroes I have made her a Deed of gift of... to my daughter REBECKAH the Land and Negro which I have deeded to her; to my son BENJAMIN WOFFORD, after his Mother's deceased, one Negro boy JEMRELL and Negro girl SIDNEY, besides the land I deeded him...to my son JOSEPH WOFFORD, after his Mother's decease, one negro boy DAREN and boy ISAAC which I have made a Deed of gift for...to my daughter MARTHY WHITE, tract which I now live on after her Mother's decease...I leave to my Executor an old Woman named FLOROW and UNO her daughter for him to take Steps to place them in such a situation as he shall deem proper so that they shall not be brought into bondage to any person and to keep them from being chargable to the District & UNO is to have a cow at her Mistress' death...son BENJ. WOFFORD, Exr...25 Aug 1825. JOSEPH WOFFORD (LS), Wit: S. Tucker, William Powell, Nancy Tucker. Prov. 17 March 1828.

Have a great day!

Betty


© Betty Tartas  2011

No comments: