Saturday, June 20, 2015

My Grandmother's Adventures: A Trip to the Grand Canyon 1913

When I was young, my grandmother RUBY BOLTON BROWN told us many wonderful stories about her Alaskan childhood on Unga Island.

It wasn't until many, many years later that my mother, then in her eighties, shared with me a wonderful photo of RUBY riding down into the Grand Canyon on a mule!  And it wasn't until after my mother passed away when I inherited a small photo album full of very small photos, some marked with the year "1913",  that I realized that RUBY made with trip with her father FRANK R BROWN.


My grandmother RUBY BOLTON BROWN & her father FRANK R BROWN on the Colorado River , 1913


Here are the rest of the photos from the album, documenting RUBY & her father FRANK's Grand Canyon adventure. Unfortunately, no other items were saved, such as a diary, tickets or brochures, to complete the archive. 

My best guess is that RUBY & FRANK took the train from San Francisco to the Grand Canyon. They probably stayed at El Tovar, the lodge designed by Chicago architect Charles Whittlesey for the Aitchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway, and later owned by Fred Harvey.





 All photos are originals from my collection.

Have a great day!

Betty

© Betty Tartas  2015

No comments: