The immigrant ancestor is JEAN MARTINE (sometimes spelled MARTIN) b 1642 St Nazarre, Saintonge, Loire France , who with his wife ANNE emigrated to Massachusetts in 1687, and died Dec 1701 in New Rochelle, Westchester County, New York.
"BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES OF SETTLERS OF NEW ROCHELLE NY 1687-1776" BY MORGAN H SECORD, publ 1941 page 38-39
"JEAN MARTIN was a native of Saint Nazaire in Saintonge, and appears to have first fled to England, and then came to America by way of Boston, settling in Oxford, Massachusetts in 1687. He was a laborer and his wife was Annie. Upon the abandonment of the Oxford settlement, he was among those who came to New Rochelle in the year 1696. His name appears in the census of New Rochelle, 1698, as aged fifty-two years and his wife forty-two, and three children. Two of these were born at the Oxford settlement. He signed the oath of allegiance at New Rochelle, pursuant to the order of January 1698. He purchased land in New Rochelle in the West Division from Marie Guespin (widow of Josias La Vilain), on March 11, 1697. He made his will Oct 5, 1700, which was recorded in the Town Record book on Dec 27, 1701, he there called himself "Ploughman". His wife survived him. This name has been corrupted to Martine."
" Our aid be in God, who has made the sky, and the earth, Amen, at New Rochelle, Manor of Pelham, in the province of New York, in America, the fifth day of October, One Thousand seven hundred, I, JEAN MARTIN, Ploughman, living in the said town of New Rochelle, being for the present by the Grace of Geod, sound of mind and judgement, though afflicted of sickness, knowing of nothing more certain than death, though the hour of it is most uncertian, have had written this present act of deed , which is my testament and declaration of my last will, in the following form.
In the first place-- I commend my Soul to God, Creator & Saviour of the world,; imploring Him to receive me in His favour through the merits of the precious blood of Our Lord and Redeemer, Jesus Christ.
Secondly, I ask of my wife, ANNE MARTIN, if she survives me, to bury my body in suitable simplicity.
Thirdly, I declare as absolute truth that my said wife and myself, arriving in this place of New Rochelle, desitute, and having nothing but our hands to earn our bread, we have worked by the sweat of our brow to establish and erect the hourse in which we now live, and plough and enclose the lands which belong to it and acquire the little stock of cattle and other movable goods which belong to us. That is why I think it just and reasonable and it is my testament and declaration of my last will that when it will have pleased the Lord to take me unto Him, my said wife, ANNE MARTIN , shall enter in full and entire posession and shall be absolute and undisturbed mistress of all that which belongs to me--the house, tilled and untilled lands, goods and cattle of all kinds which are in this said place of New Rochelle, as well as in the place of New Oxford, where we previously lived, in New England. Giving full power to my said wife, by these presents, as guardian and trustee of my children, who, at my death, will still be young, and praying my said children to obey and assist her as it is their duty. In testimony of faith I have had the above written in presence of witnesses undersigned the day and year above mentioned.."
Signed and sealed with my seal (P) Mark of JEAN MARTIN
X seat of the said witnesses J. B. Dutuffeau, Jacques Prevot, Pierre Ladone
Children of JEAN MARTINE/MARTIN and his wife ANNE (my lineage highlighted in blue):
- Jeanne Martine b bef 1687 England or France; married Daniel Raveaux in NYC
- JOHN JEAN MARTINE II b. abt 1690 New Oxford, Worcester County, Massachusetts; d Haverstraw Orange/Rockland Co NY m Eva Affie Afje Mabie
- Francois Martine (m) b. 1693 New Oxford, Worcester County, Massachusetts
Children of JOHN JEAN MARTINE IIand EVA AFJE MABIE:
- Elizabeth Martine b. 1717 m. Matthys Buckhout
- John Martine (Rev War) b. 1718 m. Rachel Vail
- Daniel Martine (Rev War) b. 1725 m. Deborah Ryker abt 1749
- Eva Affie Aefje Martine b. 1725 m. Johannes Snedeker
- Hannah Annetje Martine b abt 1732
- JEREMIAH MARTINE (Rev War) b. 1734 Westchester Co NY, d Haverstraw Orange/Rockland Co NY m. Rachel Baree/Baret
- John Martine b. 1762 m. Maria Stevenson
- Susannah Martine b. 1763 m. Johannes Vanderbilt
- Daniel Martine b. 1764 m. Grietje Vanderbilt
- ISAAC MARTINE b. Aug 26, 1766 Clarkstown, Rockland Co NY; d 1811, 8th Ward, NYC m. Geertje Charity Campbell.
- Rachel Martine b. 1767 m.??
- Rebecca Martine b 1767 m Martin Shaw
- Eva Martine b. 1769 m. Stephen Wood
- Jeremiah Jr. Martine b. 1774
- Abraham Martine b. 1776 m. Sarah Vanderbilt
Children of ISAAC MARTINE and GEERTJE CHARITY CAMPBELL:
- Rachel Martine b. abt 1799 Clarkstown, Rockland Co New York; records with her mother can be found in the Greenwich Dutch Reformed Church in NYC before the family moved to Monroe Co NY
- ALBERT MARTINE b. Dec 28 1800 Clarkstown Rockland Co NY m Mary Edson (maiden name unverified, but likely) died bef 1830 in Monroe Co NY
- John Martine b 1810 8th Ward, New York City m Mary Snyder in Monroe Co NY
- Rachel Martine b. abt 1820 NY Listed in the 1840 and 1850 Monroe Co NY Census Ogden Twp., no record afterwards
- Isaac Martine b. abt 1824 NY m. Amy Close 1850?; Elizabeth Ann Werring on April 21, 1866. Died April 10, 1897 in Sleepy Eye, Brown Co Minnesota
- Maria B Martine b abt 1829 Spencerport, Monroe Co NY m George Tarbox, died April 22. 1858 Spencerport, Monroe Co NY. They had one child, Maria J Tarbox, who died in childhood. She and her grandmother, Charity "Geertje" (Campbell) Martine, are both buried in the Tarbox family plot, Fairfield Cemetery, Ogden twp, Monroe Co NY.
- JOHN F. MARTINE b. June 15, 1831 Spencerport, Ogden Twp, Monroe Co NY m. Mary Ann Scofield on April 21, 1851 Yorkville Racine Co WI.
- CHARLES ALBERT MARTINE b. April 12, 1854 Yorkville, Racine Co WI m. Alice Miller abt 1880 in Missouri. Charles was named for his two grandfathers: Charles Scofield b.1809 NYC and Albert Martine b. 1801 Rockland Co NY.
- Ida Kate Martine b. June 24, 1857 Yorkville Racine Co WI d. May 25, 1899 Chillicothe, Livingston Co MO; married James Asa Myers b 1854 Chillicothe, died 1905.
- Minnie L. Martine b. August 16,1869 Hardin co Iowa married William Clifton in Missouri. Then in 1907 she married Joseph Rainford and they lived Everson, Whatcom Co WA.
- John Edson Martine b. January 10, 1875 probably Kansas City MO married Pearl unknown late in life, no children; lived Everson, Whatcom Co WA and possibly other places in WA state.
- Frederick Earl Martine b. April 29, 1881 Chillicothe, MO m. Mabel Ronald
- Walter Lloyd Martine b. March 9, 1884 Alburqurque NM m. Ella Adams
- Lizzie May Martine b.Sept. 30, 1886 Wyandott, KA m. Robert "Nick" Nichols
- RANDOLPH BENJAMIN "Rolla" MARTINE b Dec. 26, 1888 Kansas City MO died 1974 Everett, Snohomish Co WA m. Ruby Bolton Brown.
- Nina Miller Martine Feb 7, 1893 North Yamhill, OR (near Portland) never married, died 1989 Lane Co OR