Saturday, February 26, 2011

Surname Saturday: New England Ancestors Shared with Heather Wilkinson Rojo

Well. This week brought eight inches of snow with bitter cold temperatures following, a rarity in the Pac NW.  For several days we were housebound here at Heart Lake Farm, waiting for the snowplows to come out our way. So conditions were absolutely perfect for completing genealogical stuff that I had been meaning to do,  but had been distracted from in the past few months by other pressing genealogical stuff--such as documentation for an application to the Society of Mayflower Descendants.

So this week I compared my New England family tree with Heather Wilkinson Rojo's. Heather writes the blog Nutfield Genealogy.

This was a somewhat daunting task, as I had three separate pedigrees of Heather's to compare with two of my pedigrees (which actually turned out to be all four of my pedigrees ).  But I stuck with it. And my work produced some very interesting results!

Here are the ancestors, in no particular order, that Heather & I share in her WILKINSON lineage:

All ancestors shared with my maternal grandmother RUBY BOLTON BROWN

William Chandler & Agnes Bayford
Frances Bayford & Joan unknown
Robert Mayhew & Joan Bridman
Thomas Mayhew & Alice Waterman
Matthew Mayhew & Alice Barter
Thomas Mayhew & Jane Gallion, mayor of Martha's Vineyard
John Howland & Elizabeth Tilley, Mayflower passengers
John Gorham & Desire Howland
Henry Howland & Margaret Aires
John Tilley & Joan Hurst, Mayflower passengers
Ralph Gorham & Margaret Stephenson
James Gorham & Agnes Bennington
Edmund Hawes I & Jane Porter
Edmund Hawes II & unknown wife
John Hawes & Desire Gorham
John Daggett & Alice Brotherton
William Daggett & Alice Lappage
Thomas Daggett & Hannah Mayhew
Thomas Daggett II & Elizabeth Hawes
Nicholas Norton I & unknown wife
Nicholas Butler & Joyce Baker
John Butler & Priscilla Norton
John Butler II & Mary Lynde
Nicholas Norton II & Elizabeth Isaac
Thomas Lynde & unknown wife
Ezekiel Northend & Edna Halstead
John Emery & Agnes Northend
Richard Hutchinson & Alice Bosworth
Thomas Hutchinson & Alice unknown
John Sawyer & Agnes Sharpe
Samuel Platts & Sarah Bates


Here are the ancestors that Heather & I share in the lineage of her grandfather STANLEY ELMER ALLEN:

Ancestors shared with maternal grandmother RUBY BOLTON BROWN

Henry Howland & Margaret Aires
John Howland & Elizabeth Tilley, Mayflower passengers
John Tilley & Joan Hurst, Mayflower passengers
Edmund Gale & unknown wife
Thomas Bray & Mary Wilson
John Swett & Phoebe unknown
John Perkins & Judith Gater
Henry Perkins & Elizabeth Sawbridge
Michael Gater & Isabel Bayley
William Sawbridge & Elizabeth unk
Samuel Graves & Grace Beamsley
Mark Graves & Amy unknown
Henry Kimball & Mary Riddlesdale Wyatt
Richard Kimball & Ursula Scott 


Henry Scott & Margaret Whatlock, shared with both my maternal grandparents
Edmund Scott & Joan unknown, shared with both my maternal grandparents
Thomas Whatlock & Joan unknown, shared with both my maternal grandparents

David Phippen & Sarah Pinckney, shared with my maternal grandfather R B MARTINE
Robert Fitzpen/Phippen & Cecily Jordan, shared with R B MARTINE & both my paternal grandparents ALONZO COX HUBER & MINTTIE MAE BRUTON
Thomas Jordan & Agnes Burte, shared with grandparents R B MARTINE, ALONZO COX HUBER & MINTTIE MAE BRUTON.

Here is a link to one of my previous blog posts about how three out of four of my grandparents share ancestors in the PHIPPEN, JORDAN & REYNOLDS families of England & the US.


Here are the ancestors I share with Heather in the lineage of her grandmother GERTRUDE MATILDA HITCHINGS:

All ancestors shared with my maternal grandmother RUBY BOLTON BROWN


Henry Howland & Margaret Aires
John Howland & Elizabeth Tilley, Mayflower passengers
John Tilley & Joan Hurst, Mayflower passengers
Thomas Crosby & Jane Sotheron
Anthony Crosby & Alison Blanchard
William Sotheron & Constance Lambert
Michael Bacon I & Elizabeth Wyle
Michael Bacon II & Alice unknown
Mary Lynde Butler (married 1st to John Butler, 2nd to William Weeks, Edgartown, Dukes Co MA--Martha's Vineyard)
Thomas Lynde & unknown wife
Richard Holland & Winifred Pierce shared with my maternal grandfather R B MARTINE



I count 111 shared ancestors with Heather Wilkinson Rojo (not counting the Howlands & Tilleys more than once)!

This breaks the record for shared ancestors previously held by my DNA cousin "Stan" who shares 96 ancestors, and Barbara Poole, who shares about 45 ancestors, and writes the blog Life From the Roots! See my previous blogposts about sharing ancestors with them!

And there may be more.  I was suffering from a flu/cold virus when I compared our pedigrees, so in my delirium may have missed a few :)

Phew!  I'd say that was a pretty good day's work, wouldn't you?

Have a great weekend!

Betty




© Betty Tartas  2011

4 comments:

Barbara Poole said...

Amazing Betty, that is quite a list you and Heather share. Being #3 is just fine with me. I believe I share some of your combined names as well. What a lot of work you both did in comparing your names.

Heather Wilkinson Rojo said...

Wow, Betty! You had told me how many you found, but now that I see the list I think we are probably more like sisters than cousins! LOL! This took an incredible amount of work poring through all the different lists. Congrats to you for your "stick to it-iveness"!

Betty said...

Thanks, Barb & Heather! I had lots of fun comparing! :)

Pam Carter said...

Hi Betty, I saw your name in the Facebook post that Bill West did about blogging cousins. I share a few connections with you, too. Chandler/Bayford, Emery/Northend, Hutchinson/Bosworth, and Sawyer/Sharpe are those that stand out right away. My blog is mymaineancestry.blogspot.com - I love making cousin connections.