Friday, March 12, 2010

Looking for Maryland Church Records

I have a number of ancestors who either lived in Maryland for several generations or passed through Maryland on their way to western Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana and Iowa. Recently, with the help of Google books, I have discovered two out-of-print sources that I just can't seem to locate anywhere:

1)MARYLAND GERMAN CHURCH RECORDS Vol 1-14, & 16 by Frederick Sheely Weiser, published 1986. This covers a number of Lutheran & German Reformed Churches in Frederick, Carroll & Washington Co MD.

2) SOMERSET COUNTY MARYLAND COVENTRY PARISH CHURCH RECORDS Vol 1, 1703-1834 by Jody Powell published 1993.

I live in a fairly remote area away from large libraries, LDS centers, etc, and have not been able to locate copies through our local library's inter-library loan service. Have not been able to find copies on Alibris, Amazon.com, or Ebay.

Several people have recommended I ask for look-ups, but since I am researching several different families in several different locations, this seems like a cumbersome proposition to me!! Most folks doing look-ups request that you ask about one person at a time.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Betty


1 comment:

Dr. Bill (William L.) Smith said...

My KINNICK line followed a similar path: Maryland>OH>IL>IA. Charles Co and Prince George Co in MD.

Welcome to the Geneabloggers family. Hope you find the association fruitful; I sure do. I have found it most stimulating, especially some of the Daily Themes.

May you keep sharing your ancestor stories!

Dr. Bill ;-)
http://drbilltellsancestorstories.blogspot.com/
Author of "13 Ways to Tell Your Ancestor Stories"