Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Tombstone Tuesday: Bangor Friends Church Cemetery, Marshall Co Iowa

In August 2001, I finally met my Aunt Argo (Huber) Menter and her daughter Barbara Collins for the first time.  Barb and I had been corresponding for a couple of years, and as my husband and I were driving across country, we arranged to stop by for a visit.  My parents divorced when I was very young, so I had little contact with my father's family as I was growing up. It was wonderful for me to finally see the town where my Dad grew up and meet relatives I never knew I had. We made three more trips, in 2003, 2005 and 2007, attended the Huber family reunion and met even more relatives. In 2008 Cousin Barb and her sister Sharon came out to visit me in Washington state.

Barb was (and is) very involved in compiling the Huber family history.  I am very thankful for the information and family photos she has shared with me over the last decade.

Cousin Barb and Aunt Argo took me to the Bangor Friends Church Cemetery during that 2001 visit.  My paternal grandparents, great grandmother and great great grandparents are all buried there.


My paternal grandparents ALONZO  HUBER and MINTTIE MAE BRUTON HUBER. Their graves are on either side of  a large peony plant.


My great grandmother CAROLINE AMELIA "CRAMELIA" FRAZIER who married 1st) PHILLIP L HUBER and 2nd) PETER CLOW.  I don't know why her first name appears as CRAY on the tombstone--might be a nickname? See previous post for her story.

My great great grandmother, NANCY VAN ARSDALE FRAZIER.  At her feet lies the grave of her husband ELI BRANSON FRAZIER.  Nancy and Eli were Quakers, and attended the Bangor Friends Church from 1870 until their deaths. Below, the tombstone of ELI BRANSON FRAZIER, which has fallen over and is barely readable.

Have a great day!

Betty

No comments: