Friday, April 16, 2010

Follow Friday: Betty's Online Source of the Week: Documenting the American South

If you are researching ancestors in North Carolina, I recommend a perusal of the website Documenting the American South (University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill).

This is a website that allows you to search texts and other resources held by UNC.  While it is not a genealogy website per se, it does offer lots of interesting historical information.  A search here provided me with information  about ancestors who were involved in the Regulators (North Carolina's equivalent of the Boston Tea Party at the start of the Revolutionary War),  and about some ancestors who obtained  land grants in colonial NC.  I also found quite a bit of information here about HENRY WATKINS MILLER, who was the brother of my gg grandfather and a judge, orator and political figure in Raleigh, NC; and about ROMULUS MITCHELL SAUNDERS, who was the first cousin of my ggg grandmother, and also a prominent judge and diplomat from NC.

Some of the searchable  collections available at this website include:

--Colonial and State Records of North Carolina


--Church in the Southern Black Community


--North Carolina Slave Narratives


--First Person Narratives of the American South

There is also a great deal available on the website about the history of UNC and its students.

Have a great day!

Betty

1 comment:

Kathleen Brandt, Professional Genealogist said...

I love this oversize document. I just do the easy access online, but I also use the microfiche if I need to scan. Thanks for mentioning it. I also found a couple of my relatives, one that lead me to the history of my Griffin/Morris line.