Village of Lubec, Washington Co Maine, photo source unknown
JOHN KENNEDY, my ggg grandfather, was born about 1795 in either Ireland or Nova Scotia, Canada. He may have been the son of THOMAS KENNEDY, who settled in Maitland, Hants Co Nova Scotia.
In about 1818, JOHN KENNEDY married ELIZABETH "BETSY" RINES, born April 29, 1799, the daughter of JOHN RINES II and ELIZABETH McDONALD of Maitland, Hants Co Nova Scotia.
Shortly after their marriage, JOHN & ELIZABETH KENNEDY moved to the town of Windsor, Hants Co Nova Scotia, and there they lived for at least twenty years. All of their children were born there, including my gg grandfather, THOMAS KENNEDY.
JOHN KENNEDY was likely involved in ship-building, fishing or some other type of maritime trade. Several of his sons and grandsons were shipwrights, mariners and fishermen.
Shortly before 1840, JOHN KENNEDY and his entire family moved across the border to the village of Lubec, Washington Co Maine. They were enumerated in the 1840 US census, living near eldest son JEREMIAH "JERE" KENNEDY and JERE's father-in-law, EZRA KNIGHT.
JOHN KENNEDY died sometime between the 1840 and 1850 census. His widowed wife, ELIZABETH KENNEDY can be found in the 1850 Portland Cumberland Co ME census, with two of her sons and near a couple of her daughters. Some of her children remained in Lubec, Washington Co ME. ELIZABETH can be found in Portland, ME until the 1870 census. She likely died between 1870 and 1880.
The children of JOHN KENNEDY and ELIZABETH "BETSY" RINES, all born Windsor, Hants Co Nova Scotia, Canada:
1) JEREMIAH KENNEDY born about 1818; married CAROLINE KNIGHT, daughter of EZRA KNIGHT; occupation was mariner, fisherman and master ship's carpenter; lived 1840-1880 Lubec, Washington Co ME (Children: Walter G Kennedy, William H Kennedy, Sarah Kennedy, Mary Prudence Kennedy, John Kennedy, Jeremiah Kennedy Jr, Frederick Kennedy, Ezra Knight Kennedy, Elizabeth Olive Kennedy, Caroline/Carrie Kennedy).
2) MARY KENNEDY b abt 1820; married JOHN O'DONNELL, a farmer; lived 1860-1900 Lubec, Washington Co ME (Children: John O'Donnell Jr, Elizabeth O'Donnell, James O'Donnell, Mary O'Donnell, Martha/Mattie O'Donnell, Anna/Joanna/Annie O'Donnell, David Edward O'Donnell, Sarah J O'Donnell).
3) JOHN KENNEDY Jr--No further information
4) DANIEL KENNEDY, a shipwright, b abt 1824; married ROSALINDA RIPLEY; lived 1850 Gardiner, Kennebec ME; 1860 Pembroke, Washington Co ME; died as a soldier during the Civil War, July 25, 1864, location unknown, of unspecified disease (Children: Rosalinda Kennedy, Nancy Kennedy, Daniel Kennedy Jr who died young, Jotham J Kennedy).
5) ELIZABETH KENNEDY b abt 1827 m EDWARD O'NEAL or O'NEIL, a laborer; lived 1860-1870 Portland, Cumberland Co ME and 1880-1888 Saco/Biddeford, York Co ME, where she ran a boarding house on High Street; died aft 1888. (Children: Thomas O'Neal, Mary O' Neal, John O'Neal, Henry H B O'Neal, Frederick O'Neal, Edward O'Neal Jr, David J O'Neal, Catherine O'Neal).
6) THOMAS KENNEDY , my gg grandfather, a laborer and merchant, b abt 1829-1830; married 1st) SARAH JANE BOLTON; 2nd) LIZZIE CORBETT; fought in the Civil War; lived Portland, Cumberland Co ME 1850-1870; lived Bodie, Mono Co CA 1878-1882; died bet 1882-1896. (Children: Sarah Adeline Kennedy; Helen Frances Kennedy; Mary Etta Kennedy)
7) MARTHA KENNEDY b abt 1832; m ISRAEL HAGUE or HAIG, a grocer; lived 1850-1869 Portland, Cumberland Co ME; no information after 1870 (Daughters: Frances E Hague, Elizabeth Hague, Alice Hague).
8) DAVID W KENNEDY a woodworker, b abt 1839; wife unknown; fought in the Civil War; lived 1850-1870 Portland, Cumberland Co ME, and until 1888 in Saco/Biddeford, York Co ME (only known child: Seth Kennedy).
For more information, please see my Rootsweb Online family tree, New England Ancestors of Ruby Bolton Brown
As always, your comment appreciated. Have a great day!
Post a Comment