Sunday, January 9, 2011

Sunday Supper: Grandma Ruby's Custard Pie

When I was very young, my maternal grandparents lived next door to us in a small house that my father built. We lived out in the country. I think the transition to country living was difficult for my grandparents, for they had lived in cities most of their adult lives. So they stayed next to us for only a few years, then took an apartment in Seattle.

Ruby enjoyed hosting dinners while they lived next to us, and although I don't remember much about the menus, being quite young, I do remember her custard pie.  It was my favorite dessert as a child!

Here is the recipe for Grandma Ruby's Custard Pie

1 Graham Cracker Crumb pie crust
1 cup sugared Graham Cracker crumbs

Filling:

2 cups milk
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
3 Tbs cornstarch
dash vanilla

Topping:

2 eggs whites
3 Tbs sugar
pinch cream of tartar


Whisk together filling ingredients and cook over low heat (double boiler?) until thick. Pour into pie shell.

Beat the egg whites with sugar & cream of tartar until stiff. Spread over the custard and sprinkle the sugared graham cracker crumbs over the top. Bake slowly for 25 minutes (325 degrees?).

Better to serve when completely cool (refrigerate?).


Before she passed away, my mother and I made this pie for old times' sake.  We both agreed that it was too sweet for us now.  But it did bring back lots of good memories.

Have a great day!

Betty




© Betty Tartas  2011

No comments: